Food for Life sends letter to Secretary of State for Education
27 Mar 2020
Food for Life has sent a letter to Secretary of State for Education Gavin Williamson to ensure all children have access to nutritional food whilst schools are fully or partially closed.
Food for Life co-drafted the letter along with School Food Matters, Sustain, Food Foundation and Chefs in Schools calling for ‘urgent’ action.
The letter highlighted five key points, including:
- Funding to be allocated as schools see fit: This will allow any surplus food to be used for siblings and other children in need.
- Caterer first, not vouchers: School catering networks understand school food better than anyone else.
- Voucher value: Schools are concerned the current allowance of £2.30 per meal will not cover the food cost for families.
- Holiday provision: The Government should commit to holiday provision for all free school meals children until September.
- Collection reassurance: Families need reassurance from the Government that collecting food from schools is a ‘legitimate’ reason to leave the house.