LACA reveals 2023 Finishing Touches winners
Finishing Touches is a competition organised by LACA in association with the Craft Guild of Chefs. The competition is aimed at staff employed in any aspect of education catering capable of producing craft pieces.
The competition provides entrants with the opportunity to show off their skills, which would not normally be seen during their everyday profession. Each Best in Class winner received £100 and the Best in Show winner won a further £250.
Steve Munkley, vice president of the Craft Guild of Chefs director for Finishing Touches Salon, commented: “It was good to see the number of this years entries getting back to pre pandemic levels and some real super dishes presented for tasting or on show. The members of LACA really put a lot of hard work in to the entries making the judges jobs really difficult in choosing the winning entry for each category.
"I believe we presented more gold medals than we have for many years and the Best in Show choice was just a perfect tray bake to serve to students of all ages with the textual mix of a wonderful gooey Brownie topped with some caramel crispy cornflakes a dream to eat.”
2023 Finishing Touches results:
- 50% Fruit Dessert: Rebecca Britton, Impact Food Group (Gold)
- Biscuits: Mark Kent, Impact Food Group (Silver)
- Cake Suitable for a Special Diet: Lee Hodgson, HCL (Gold)
- Cheesecake: Catherine Hudson, Taylor Shaw (Silver)
- Cupcakes: Danielle Fuidge, Twelve15 (Gold)
- Decorated Celebration Cake: Katrina Denbigh, HCL (Gold)
- Filled and/or Coverage Sponge, Gateau or Cake: Alex Gafton, Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate (Gold)
- Floral Sugarcraft Display Piece: Rachel Kirk, Taylor Shaw (Bronze)
- Individual Fruit Tart: Nicki Barnard, Norse Catering (Silver)
- Tray Bake: Abdul Mahdoul, Newcastle City Council (Gold- Best in Show winner)
- Vegetarian Quiche: Ben Gregson, Caterlink Ltd (Gold)