Tips on how schools should prepare for re-opening
Prime Minister Boris Johnson set a target date of 8 March 2021 for the reopening of schools in England. Currently only vulnerable and key worker children are allowed to attend schools for face-to-face learning.
Hibbert said: “Many school catering teams will already have a good infrastructure in place to enable them to meet the demands of providing an environment that is safe and Covid compliant.”
The tips include:
- Review staff working practices: If catering staff are absent due to sickness, are the remaining staff able to cope with the volume of meals required?
- Meal provision: Replace self-service with fully plated meals and introduce an online ordering system.
- Social distancing: Stagger lunchtime arrival and introduce a one-way travel system.
- Hygiene: Introduce more regular cleaning focussing on key touch points.
- Supply chain considerations: There is a possibility of supply chain issues so it is important to communicate with suppliers.
- Opportunity to trial new ideas: Create more seasonal menus, review the need for luxury items and look into meat substitutes.